Top 20 Performance Testing Interview Questions and Answers
Last updated on Wed 18 Mar 2020
Learn Performance testing Interview Questions and Answers at IQ online training. Refer to these interview question before attending an interview - Professionals, and freshers
Performance Testing Interview Questions and Answers
Refer to these Performance Testing Interview Questions and Answers to be confident in an interview.
1) What is performance testing?
Performance Testing: It is a type of testing to ensure software program applications will carry out well underneath their expected workload.
Features and Functionality supported by using a software device isn't the only subject. A software program application's overall performance like its response time, reliability, resource utilization, and scalability do matter. The intention of Performance Testing isn't to locate bugs but to do away with performance bottlenecks.
2) Mention different types of performance testing?
The following are the different types of Performance testing:
- Load testing
- Stress testing
- Endurance testing
- Spike testing
- Volume testing
- Scalability testing
3) What Is the Life-cycle Of Testing?
Steps in Life-cycle of Testing are as follows:
- Planning the Test
- Developing the Test
- Execution of the Test
- Analysis of Results
4) What is the need for doing performance test?
We require performance testing in order to assess the performances that are application based. These assessments are performed under load and stress conditions. To measure the performance testing, the response time that was related to the activity of users. The entire system is tested at a high condition of stress and load.
5) Mention the tools that are used for doing performance testing.
The following are the best tools that are used for doing performance testing:
- QA Load (Compuware) -QA Load tool is used for performing load test of database, web and also Char-based system.
- Load Runner (HP) - Load Runner tool is used for web and various other kinds of applications.
- Web load (Rad view) - Web load tool is used for comparing test metrics and running test.
- Rational performance tester (IBM) - This tool is used to identify the causes and presence of a performance system.
6) What is the benefit of using Load Runner on testing tools?
The following are the benefits of Load Runner on testing tools:
- Test Results
- Easy Integrations
- Robust reports
- Enterprise Package
7) Explain the difference between Overlay graph and Correlate graph?
Overlay Graph: It overlay the content of two graphs that proportion a common x-axis. Left Y-axis at the merged graph shows the current graph value & Right Y-axis show the value of Y-axis of the graph that was merged.
Correlate Graph: In this graph, Plot Y-axis of two graphs against each other. The active graph Y-axis will become X-axis of the merged graph. Y-axis of the graph that turned into merged turns into merged graph Y-axis.
8) What is Ramp-Up and Ramp-Down?
Ramp-Up: The rate at which we increase the load on the system by adding virtual users is called ramp up.
Ramp-Down: The rate at which virtual users exit from a system is called as ramp down.
9) What is performance tuning?
To improve the performance of the system we follow a mechanism, known as Performance Tuning.
To improve the performance of the system there are two types of tuning performed. They are
Hardware tuning: Optimizing, adding or replacing the hardware components of the system and changes in the infrastructure level to improve the performance of the systems is called hardware tuning.
Software tuning: Software level bottlenecks can be identified by profiling the code; database etc. Fixing the bottlenecks by fine-tuning or modifying the software is called software tuning.
10) Difference between Performance Testing and Performance Engineering?
In Performance testing, a testing cycle consists of requirement amassing, scripting, execution, end result sharing, and record technology.
Performance Engineering is a step ahead of Performance testing which after execution; effects are analyzed with the aim to find the overall performance bottlenecks and the solution is supplied to resolve the diagnosed problems.
11) What are the activities that are performed during performance testing?
Activities that are performed during performance testing are as follows:
- Creation of user scenarios
- Distribution of users
- Application dry run
12) Mention what is concurrent user hits in load testing?
Concurrent user hits can be defined as when multiple users hit on the same event of an application without any time difference under the load test.
13) List out some common performance bottlenecks?
Here are some of the common performances bottlenecks. They are as follows:
- CPU Utilization
- Memory Utilization
- Networking Utilization
- S limitation
- Disk Usage
14) What is spike testing and soak testing?
Spike testing - Spike testing is the adjustments happens to the software when a massive number of users increased or decreased.
Soak testing - Soak testing is used to realize the behavior of the software when we apply the weight for an extended time or for a long period. What occurs to the steadiness and response time of the software is stand by way of this manner.
15) List out some of the parameters considered for performance testing?
Here are some of the parameters considered for performance testing:
- Memory usage
- Processor usage
- Memory pages
- Network output queue length
- Response time
- CPU interruption per second
- Committed memory
- Thread counts
- Top waits, etc.
16) Explain what is the throughput in Performance Testing?
In performance testing, throughput is cited the amount of statistics transported to the server in response to the purchase request at a given period of time. It is calculated in phrases of requests in keeping with second, calls in line with a day, reviews consistent with 12 months, hits per second, and so forth. Performance of application relies upon on throughput value, higher the value of throughput -higher the overall performance of the software.
17) What is a Benchmark in performance checking out?
It is kind of load testing done on part of the software of the entire application with numerous load to reveal overall performance changes. It is repeated till there exists very minor percent of distinction within the measurements stated from the earlier tests.
18) What is stress testing in performance testing?
In order to know the device overall performance whilst the load is maintained consistently at system’s upper limit of most potential, the overall performance consequences are analyzed to recognize how far the assets can preserve the upper restrict with precise overall performance as expected.
19) What is a protocol and how many you have worked on?
A protocol is a set of regulations for statistics communication among 2 or extra structures. There are many protocols which include Http/Https, FTP, Web Services, and Citrix. Mostly used protocols are Http/Https and Web Services.
20) Explain the Reason Behind Performing Automated Load Testing?
The beneath are the reasons behind performing Automated Load Testing:
- Difficult to degree the overall performance of the application accurately.
- Difficult to do synchronization among the users.
- Numbers of actual time customers are required to contain in Performance Testing.
- Difficult to investigate and become aware of the consequences & bottlenecks.
- Increases the infrastructure fee.