All You Want To Know
What is DevOps? And why it is important?
DevOps (Development and operations):
There are many definitions for DevOps out there; amongst all, I would like to give my simple definition.
Simple terms –
DevOps does not just mean Development and operations, but it is a collaboration of different teams working together to give quality, cost-efficient and productive results. Irrespective of the business type; whether it is small or large scale, startup or established, implementing DevOps can fetch great results.
While it is not a fixed methodology, automation and a collaborative culture are the foundation for accepted DevOps practices, which include:
- Measuring the things that have an impact on an organization’s goals
- Making those measurements visible to everyone
- Using a shared set of tools
- Including all teams in the software delivery process from the earliest planning stages.
Benefits of DevOps:
Here I’m going to share few skills that would be most expected to achieve expertise in DevOps.
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools like Puppet, Docker, Chef, Ansible and good fluency in web languages like Ruby, Python, PHP is the must-needed skills to become proficient in DevOps.
- Familiarity with CI (continuous integration) tools like CruiseControl, Jenkins etc.
- Security training.
- Expertise in soft skills like problem-solving, team-building, negotiation, listening skills etc.
Other skills include:
- Knowledge of software build cycles
- Experience deploying code
- Familiarity with application programming
- Database management
Even though you achieve many of the above skills, doing certifications related to this would be an added advantage.
Some Certifications like:
- Risk Management
- Scrum Master
- Project Management
Myths and Facts:
- DevOps is just a tool to learn.
- DevOps is only about effective communication.
- DevOps is only useful for the cloud.
- DevOps is only used in open source software.
- Out of all the organizations that were surveyed, 66% have implemented DevOps and continuous delivery for their applications.
- Only 16% of those organizations saw DevOps as a cost-reducing driver. 49% of the participants credited DevOps for their better performance, faster time to market, and better ROI.
- A DevOps engineer also plays a role in speeding up software production and IT services.
- DevOps is expanding to companies of all sizes
- Microsoft and VMware own few of the most popular vendor-specific DevOps platforms.
Top companies using DevOps:
Future Scope of DevOps:
Google Search Trends for the past 5 years